5 Things to Know About the New Viking 46 Billfish
Viking turns back the clock with a flybridge convertible day fishermen will love.
1. From the keel up, the 46 Billfish is all about fishing.
The Billfish is a throwback to the classic south Florida custom built day boats made popular in the charter fleets of the 1960s. Best described as a flybridge convertible without the aft salon bulkhead, until now fishermen who dreamed of owning a modern version of these iconic yachts had to have it custom built, an expensive and time consuming process. With the 46 Billfish however anglers have access to a very high-quality, ready-to-go fishing machine able venture to distant fishing grounds. No other manufacturer is building a production flybridge yacht like the Viking 46 Billfish — none. That’s what makes this boat such a game changer.
2. An open bridgedeck layout keeps anglers close to the action.
The layout of the 46 Billfish will appeal to anglers who appreciate the advantages of an open deck plan with no aft cabin bulkhead. Instead of an enclosed salon, the Billfish offers an open bridgedeck with lounge seating for the entire crew — the kind of easy-access layout that keeps everyone outside and close to the action. Both port and starboard seating areas have generous rod stowage under, and with a drop curtain the entire command deck can be enclosed and climate controlled.
3. Cabin accommodations are spacious and efficient.
For a boat designed exclusively for fishing the below deck accommodations of the Viking 46 Billfish are rich in features:
• The galley includes drawer-style refrigeration and Corian counters.
• The head compartment has a huge stall shower.
• A full entertainment system is standard in the private bow stateroom.
• Both guest berths are designed for full-size adults.
• Custom Amtico flooring matches that of Viking’s larger convertibles.
4. The tournament-style flybridge is state of the art.
The flybridge of the 46 Billfish follows Viking’s signature layout; a center console helm with Palm Beach-style controls, forward-facing settee and flanking lounge seats. Getting around is easy, and Viking subsidiary Atlantic Marine Electronics can build and install a complete package of navigation and communication equipment. Anglers can also opt for a beautiful factory hardtop or full tower from Viking’s other subsidary, Palm Beach Towers.
5. The cockpit is an angler’s dream.
The huge 140-square-foot cockpit of the 46 Billfish is by far the largest in this class. Mezzanine-style seating flanks the centerline walkthrough and there’s refrigerated drink storage in the mezzanine step. The list of standard features is impressive:
• Bait freezer
• In-deck insulated fish boxes (2)
• Transom door and lift gate
• Transom live well
• Rod holders
• Fresh & raw water washdowns
• Tackle storage
The 46 Billfish is a handsome boat designed and built with many of the same mechanical systems, components and technologies found on larger Vikings. Offering simplicity and ease of maintenance, she’s a ready-to-go fishing machine equipped for offshore missions in the most challenging conditions. Click on the button below to learn about the 46 Billfish currently on order at HMY.